Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Visualizing Meatballs?


I introduced my students to the strategy of visualizing.
I began by putting on my fancy sunglasses.....

Then I showed them our anchor chart for visualizing:
The book I chose to read to my students was:

This is such a great story to teach visualization.  As I read the story, I did not show my students the illustrations.  I explained to them that as I read the story, I wanted them to visualize or create a movie in their head.  I stopped throughout the story to share with them the pictures in my head I was visualizing as I read this story.

When I finished reading the story, students had to draw one of the scenes they visualized on this work mat.

Once the students had completed their picture, I then shared with them the illustrations in the book.

You can download a copy of this work mat from Google Docs.  Just click on the picture below.
While my students were completing their Daily 5 stations, they had to practice this skill by drawing a picture of a scene they had visualized on a sticky during the "read with someone", and then share that visualization with their partner.

I also have the reading strategy posters shown below hanging in my classroom.  
These posters can be found in my Reading Strategies and Activities pack on TPT.







If you are interested in finding out more about this pack, click on the pictures above to be taken to the TPT listing.

Have a great evening!  Thanks so much for stopping by!


2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a perfect story for visualizing! I love your idea of the sunglasses :)
Elizabeth

Hooty said...

I can't wait to try out your visualization activity.

You've been BOOed! Drop by my blog if you want to play along.

Hooty
Hooty's Homeroom