Friday, July 13, 2012

This year's classroom theme.....

Okay.... I know I've said this SO many times but I absolutely love all the fabulous ideas that I have gotten from all of you this includes the theme for my classroom this year.  Before Pinterest and blogging, my classroom was bright and cheerful but definitely not as organized and all tied together as it will be this year. THANK YOU!!!  I'm so excited!!!  I've been fortunate enough to be able to get into my classroom this summer and start the transformation.  I've also had some help from my sweet daughter. 

So here are a few pics of my classroom theme this year.... I'm linking up with Corinna at Surfin Through Second for her Classroom Linky Party Theme and with 3-6 Free Resources.
Click on the buttons below to check out other classroom themes.  ( It makes me want a new theme every 9 weeks.)





I started this transformation this past winter.  I was inspired by Melanie's Schoolgirl Style design of polka dots and daisies.  I LOVE polka dots.  I just had to add my twist with some ladybug accents.

My theme is:  polka dots and ladybugs

First, I have a window that goes across the whole width of my classroom.  It's wonderful, but it simply had an ugly old yellow blind that covered it.  I had fabric to create a curtain covering this, BUT it was definitely time to bring this old, dusty thing down.  I ordered polka dot fabric from fabric.com for my window.  I simply hung it up using my favorite  teacher's tool ( hot glue).  I even made pleats into the curtain using hot glue.   Since my window is so huge, this is the focal point for my classroom. This was also the most expensive part of my classroom remodel. I ordered more fabric to create table skirts for two tables in my classroom this year.
I also ordered SchoolGirl's Style Polka Dot and Daisy Welcome banner that I hung using ribbon.  If you are interested simply, click the pictures below to be taken to the links to these items.



Next, I wanted to update all of my bulletin boards to match my theme. So I ordered these two borders to match.  I even ordered enough to use it as a border at the top of my classroom walls.  At my school, our classrooms are all painted white, so this helps add more color to the walls.
Below is a picture of one of my bulletin boards.  I used polka dot wrapping paper as the background and then the daisy border.  This is my Common Core bulletin board. It's a work in progress right now.

 Click on the pictures of the borders below to find out more  information about these borders.

I also ordered 5 of the tissue paper flowers to hang above my tables.

Then I created my own tissue paper pom poms in my theme colors to hang above my library.

I also created a teacher toolbox to match. You can get this kit for free in my TPT store.

I also made this Pinterest inspired birthday frame to help celebrate my students' birthdays. If you like this idea, you can find the kit in my TPT store.  It is sitting on top of the filing cabinet that is located behind my desk.  I also have a black wrought iron lamp with a red lamp shade next to this.  It looks fabulous!

I also needed desk tags, labels for my book boxes, writing binders,  and book labels for this year.  So I created my own to match my black and white polka dot with  red ladybugs themed classroom.  I haven't been able to hang them up yet, but I can't wait to see this finished product.  Here's a picture of the items.  If you are interested, simply click on the picture to be taken to this product in my TPT store. It is $3.00.  All you will need to do is print them on cardstock and laminate them if you choose for durability.


I also created alphabet posters to hang in my classroom as well, and calendar items that fit in my pocket chart calendar.  These are all in my TPT store if you would like to check them out.




Here's a pic of my classroom at the end of last year after I began working on the transformation.

 I can't wait to post new pictures at the end of this month of my finished classroom with the table skirts, completely transformed bulletin boards, new writing center, and remodeled library. School begins for us on August 13th, so I hope to have my classroom ready by the end of July in hopes that I can spend the last couple of weeks planning.

Don't forget to link up with Corinna and 3-6 Free Resources to show off your classroom theme. 

5 comments:

Miss Nelson said...

So cute! I'm bees and daisies but made a lot of ladybug stuff too.


❂Miss Nelson❂
Miss Nelson’s Blog

Kindertrips said...

Your room is going to look so put together!
Jennifer
kindertrips

Corinna said...

It looks great Krista, I love that color scheme. Your labels are adorable as well:)I am jealous of yur bulletin board space and your projector from the ceiling! Thank you so much for linking up!

Aloha,
Corinna
Surfin' Through Second

Teach It Today said...

Hi Krista! Thanks for following my blog. Yours is DARLING! I love ladybugs and polka dots are a must! Glad to be a new follower. :)

Heather at TeachItToday

Judith said...

This is a great theme - the kids in your class each year are very lucky...