Monday, May 7, 2012

Multiplication Mania and a FREEBIE

Now that we have covered all of our math curriculum this year, I have  begun 2 and 3 digit multiplication with my students.  With our Envision Math curriculum, we begin multiplication early in the fall.  I think our 3rd graders almost see it as a rite of passage for 3rd grade.  Our students are required to memorize their multiplication facts through 12.

I love to incorporate literature with math.  Here's a fabulous picture book I love to use when introducing multiplication to my students.
This is perfect for introducing the concept of multiplication.  There are so many pictures of "groups of" items.  I also found some great worksheets and activities that others have created to go with this book.  Here are just a few:


One thing I like to do with my kiddos after reading this book is to create a class book of riddles.  Students are each given a page to illustrate and create a riddle for.  The riddle may look something like this:  Which is more 3 groups of 5 stars or 2 groups of 8 hearts?    Then the students illustrate this riddle.   I then assemble the pages to create one large class riddle book.  My students love looking through the pages and solving the riddles.   You can get a free copy of the riddle book I created by clicking the picture below.  Enjoy!  




I also use multiplication stations with my students.  They love these and ask for them long after our multiplication is finished.  Here's a peak of our Multiplication Mania stations...

To celebrate Teacher Appreciation Week and as a thank you for following my blog, I will send the first 3 people who comment below the Multiplication Mania Math stations.




7 comments:

mrs.masood said...

Wow, this looks great. I have just tried stations and don't know why i waited so long- the kids loved them!

ckean said...

I love your games. I am always looking for ways to get my chidren to learn their facts! Thanks,Colleen
ckean@ces.accomack.k12.va.us

Krista Happ said...

Love the riddles! Great way to tie in number stories with multiplication. May have to use this for review at the end of the year! Thanks!

-Krista
The Second Grade Superkids

mrs.masood said...

oops! I forgot to put my email: michmasood@gmail.com

Julie said...

That is such a great multiplication book! Thanks for sharing!
Julie
Light A Fire in Third

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. I like to introduce math concepts with books. This sounds like a good one!

Marianne B said...

This was a great book for multiplication. I also used '100 Hundred Hungry Ants' to introduce the skill. My 3rd graders loved the books :)

Marianne
Marianne.bianchi@aliefisd.net