Thursday, March 29, 2012

Flip-Flops AND a (mini-book) Freebie

Flip-Flops...... I so WANT to wear a pair to school... do I dare?!  With the warm weather, my shoe choices have been dangerously close to being considered flip-flop ( summer dresses look so cute with them). I'm treading in dangerous territory.   Just a couple of years ago the faculty was allowed to wear flip-flops to school.  My feet were in heaven!  With the adoption of our new dress code for students, flip flops were banned for students and faculty.   A riot practically broke out the day this was announced at a faculty meeting, and what followed was  30 minute session on what was considered to be a "flip-flop".  With that being said.... what is your school's policy on wearing flip-flops to school?


Now on to the Freebie.... I wanted to share a mini-book freebie with you.  We spend a lot of time working on "summarizing" in 3rd grade.  It can be a difficult concept for some students. As we  wrap up the school year,  my students are able to summarize  across different types of genres and texts.  As I was searching through some ideas to share with my colleagues at our  Common Core meeting next week, I came across an idea to use with summarizing a chapter book.  I was really excited because the information I found went along with the book that we are currently using in reading which is "My Father' s Dragon".  The Common Core site has this book listed as one of  their text exemplars.  Woohoo!  The material I came across mentioned having the students create a mini-book of a chapter book.  Students are to summarize each chapter and draw a picture to go along with it thus creating a mini-book.  ( What an easy idea!! Why didn't I think of that myself?!) The material even went as far as to video-record the students sharing these mini-books as a way of meeting a  Common Core standard for speaking and listening.  So I created a mini-book for my students to use with summarizing "My Father's Dragon".  This book could also be used as a format for all types of creative writing and even Young Author activities.  Here's a pic of one of my student's pages that she worked on today.


Take a look at the mini-book. You can find it for free at my TPT store Here.
 Also, here is the book that  my Assistant Superintendent shared with me in which I found some great resources for the Common Core Standards.  It has some poetry selections and fiction and nonfiction text that can be used along with some activity ideas to implement the standards.  You can find it on Amazon for about $18.00.  




Here's a peek at the unit I created on My Father's Dragon.  I have aligned it to the Common Core Standards.  The last page of this unit lists the items found in the unit and the Common Core standards that they are aligned with.  You can find it on my TPT store HERE for $4.00 or my TN Shop HERE. I'm currently having a 30% off sale on all my items at my TN Shop.
Have a fabulous day!  I would love to hear from you. 


4 comments:

5th Grade Rocks, 5th Grade Rules said...

Same thing with my school. A couple of us wear flip flops and bring other shoes just in case. Our principal lets it go. Good luck if you try! I love, love, love flip flops!

~Mimi
5thGradeRocks5thGradeRules

Krista Happ said...

Were not supposed to wear flipflops either...it's a mega bummer because I definitely live in them otherwise once it's warmer! And I have some fancy flipflops that I think would be completely acceptable in my eyes too ;).

Krista
The Second Grade Superkids

Christi said...

Down with the no flip flop rule!! At my previous school, flip flops were out as a safety rule for all students. Teachers could wear "sandals" though so we wore the nicer leather ones, but not the plastic kind.

I need to paint my toe nails and break my flops out in your honor. Maybe next week on SPRING BREAK. woo!!

Christi ツ
Ms. Fultz’s Corner

Corinna said...

That is such a bummer about your No-Flip Flop rule!! That sounds so funny to me (Flip-Flop), in Hawaii they are called "slippers" or more locally "slippahs". We recently had a school rule implemented that all students had to come to school wearing shoes, lol!! Seriously we had kids come with no shoes on!! The only time I don't wear them is when we go on a field trip or have P.E. However for kids these darn things break all the time, and again they are walking around barefoot!! Wear some blingy slippers, get a great pedicure, and no one will notice your out of uniform;)
Aloha,
Corinna
Surfin' Through Second